In the garden: Green beans
Green beans are a gardener's dream: the vege is high yielding and takes up little garden space.
- Beans need warm temperatures to grow, both night and day. Only plant when weather is warm and there is little risk of frost.
- Green beans benefit from the sunniest corners of gardens, so any north-facing spot with constant light and reflected heat are ideal.
- Green beans need constant watering during summer, but don't let the soil get soggy.
- Once green beans are growing, pick beans regularly so the plant will keep producing more beans.
- Green beans are especially sensitive to slugs and snails so keep an eye out for these pests.
- French and butter beans are good options for growing in pots.
- Be water-wise when watering your plants. Always water the roots of the plants early in the morning or late in the evening, so water is absorbed where it can do the most good.