It’s never too late to take that first step towards fitness.
If you feel like everything is just a bit too hard when it comes to exercise, you’re not alone. Breaking inertia when beginning to exercise is the hardest part. Rest assured, it’s never too late to make a start, regardless of where you’re at right now.
The best advice I can give you is to start now and take small steps. Pace yourself and just move more. All your activity adds up and will make a difference to your health and well-being.
I know that any fitness goal I have requires patience and persistence. Patience in accepting that I might have to take smaller steps than I want to, but every one of those steps adds up. Persistence in knowing that I need to consistently show up to be active. It’s the same for you and your goals.
Here are my strategies around taking the first steps to a more active lifestyle:
- Begin now: Don’t wait for a new week or month, just start and keep going
- Buddy up: Having a mate with you on your fitness journey is a huge help
- Have fun: Choose exercise that you enjoy the most (or hate the least)
- Motivate with music: It really helps pick me up when my energy levels are low
- Stick to a routine: Be active at a certain time, certain days (most days recommended)
- Be consistent: Small steps every day create large changes in the long term
- Help others begin: Share your journey and goals. It can be tough but hugely rewarding
- Celebrate! Mark the milestones along the way.
It’s too easy to get bogged down with life, neglecting our physical and mental health, but it’s never too late to start leading an active life. Being active gives you power and it is certainly not too late to begin right now. There is no better time to take action for you and your loved ones.