Meals for one
Five super-easy 'assembly' meals; perfect for when you're dining alone.
- Cook 90-second brown rice in the microwave. Flake smoked or tinned salmon over the top. Serve with salad mix from the supermarket.
- Toast whole grain bread. Thinly spread with pesto. Poach or fry an egg (using non-stick pan and spray of oil) and place on bread. In a small salad bowl, put chopped tomato, cucumber, capsicum and red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and top with a few olives.
- Cook some dried pasta in plenty of salted water. Drain a small can of tuna or salmon; flake the fish. Microwave mixed frozen vegetables. Mix the pasta, fish and vegetables together. Drizzle with olive oil. Crumble feta cheese on top.
- From the supermarket: rotisserie chicken breast; prepared salad from the deli; fresh bread from the bakery. Remove skin from chicken, put it all on a plate and enjoy.
- Heat the grill to 200°C or HIGH. Take one tortilla from the freezer. Spread with tomato paste from a tube. Add chopped onion, capsicum, mushrooms and diced ham (or whatever is available). Top with grated cheese. Cook under the grill for about 10 minutes.